Wednesday, September 6, 2017

One thing I'm learning


I have been listening to Mom & Me & Mom, one of Maya Angelou's autobiographies, during my commute.  Although typically I have difficulty with the start-stop of listening to books on tape, I find her slow voice and particular style of enunciation captivating.  It seems ironic to listen to this measured, gravelly voice reflecting on a youth that includes what I perceive to be knee-jerk and foolhardy choices.  Although I'm slower to admit it, perhaps I am also surprised that this tempered persona became such by rough, sometimes violent interactions.




The VMFA provided a space for some quiet reflection one Sunday morning this summer.  What I mostly remember about this scene is wondering how the ladies sitting near me knew each other: 3 women with British accents appeared to be in their 40's to 50's, who clearly saw each other regularly as was deduced both by their conversation and by their silence.

"I use the word love, not so much meaning sentimentality, but a condition so strong that it may be that which holds the stars in their heavenly positions and that which causes the blood to flow orderly in our veins."  Maya Angelou

1 comment:

  1. GClub 69 Challenge Live Betting

    G club It is an opportunity for you to participate in Chinese Zodiac games and other gambling games through the computer network is able to meet the wishes of the game. Guaranteed by the presence of the service over a period of more than 12 years, it is well known in the industry of online gambling throughout Southeast Asia.
    The Chinese Zodiac or the 12 Zodiac is a game of one. Unlike the typical 12-star slot. There are 5 rows and pay line 50 line is not fixed, can not adjust the increase. However You can still choose the amount of money you bet on each spin. When choosing the bet, then press the "spin" button and wait to win money.
    Unless Chinese Zodiac games, we also have a world class of 500 more popular gambling games to all legs to choose to play each other according to the style of each individual satisfaction. Do not wait to join the fun and get lots of money with us 24 hours at the site. จีคลับ

    ReplyDelete