Friday, July 5, 2019

yards


It is interesting to me that in painting home portraits, the discussions I usually end up having are over the yard--what's in bloom, what colors to include.  I am often given the artistic license to put everything in bloom!  The house is obviously the focal point, but the yard is important.

When my grandparents came to visit a few weekends ago, my parents got to provide a walking tour of their yard.  We smelled and looked.  A lot of activities these days don't call for such sensory engagement.  Nature is clearly not of human making.  Yet, we can foster it.  



Commentary from my grandfather after the visit:  "[They] have a wonderful variety of beautiful plantings which they were kind enough to show and explain to us.  You'll have to guess what they are since I wouldn't be able to spell them.  I didn't see any weeds or dandelions which I am very familiar with and can spell."




No comments:

Post a Comment